Birth/Death Certificate Fees
- Birth Certificate $34.00
- Death Certificate $26.00
Applying for a Birth Certificate
To apply for a Louisiana birth certificate you must appear IN PERSON at the Clerk’s Office. You must provide proper identification, such as a drivers license or state issued identification card and complete an application form.
Identification is required.
- A current state issued Driver’s License that includes a photograph which clearly identifies the applicant as the same
- A current state issued identification card that includes a photograph which clearly identifies the applicant as the same
- A current US passport with photograph which clearly identifies applicant as the same
- A current US military photo identification card which clearly identifies applicant as the same
- For students (high school or below), a current school yearbook or a current official school identification document with a photograph that clearly identifies applicant as the same
- Minor children under the age of 18 must be accompanied by a parent or legal guardian to obtain their birth record. The parent or guardian will apply on the minor’s behalf.
Any immediate family member (mother, father, current legal spouse, child, grandparent, sister, brother or legal guardian [with judgment of custody]) that is 18 years of age or older may obtain a registrant’s birth certificate.
A non-relative may obtain the registrant’s birth record by presenting the Release Authorization Form # VRR-O54 completed by the registrant and signed by both the registrant and applicant. The applicant must complete the Application For Certified Copy of Birth Certificate Form and present his/her current photo identification along with a copy of the registrant’s current photo identification.
Please Note: If the Clerk of Court’s search of the Vital Records database does not find a match for the registrant, the Clerk of Court will be required to refer the registrant to the Office of Vital Records at (504) 568-8353 in New Orleans for a more extensive search. Their web address is www.dhh.state.la.us. The Office of Vital Records will handle the request from that point.